** This post also contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you purchase a product after clicking on a link at no extra cost to you. Thank you!
Nothing says comfort food quite like “Nana’s Sweet Potato Pie a Southern Treat”. This easy-to-follow recipe will deliver a mouthwatering Southern treat no one can deny!
Treat your family to a classic Southern favorite with Nana’s sweet potato pie. Made with just the right mix of spices and sugar, this sweet recipe is sure to be a hit with anyone lucky enough to take a bite!
1. But First, Make Your Pie Crust
Don’t let this freak you out! It really is easier than you think, but of course with anything you do, practice makes perfect. FYI: Do not bake pie this pie shell! It will bake with your Sweet Potato Pie filling.
For Nana’s Never Fell Pie Crust, you will need:
- 2 C. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 C. cold Crisco Butter Flavored Crisco Stick
- 6 to 10 Tbsps. ice chilly water
- STIR flour and salt in large bowl until blended. Cut shortening into flour mixture using pastry blender or fork until shortening pieces are the size of peas. Gradually add just enough water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, stirring with fork just until dough holds together and forms a smooth ball.
- SHAPE dough into a ball for single pie crust. Divide dough in half and shape it into two balls for double crust pie. Flatten into one-half inch disk(s). Wrap disk(s) in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Chill 30 minutes or up to 2 days.
- ROLL dough on lightly floured surface, rolling from center outward. For a 9-inch pie plate, roll into an 11-inch circle. For a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate, roll into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to pie plate.
- Trim edges of dough flute edges as desired. Cut several 1/2-inch slits in top crust to vent steam. Bake pie according to specific recipe directions.
2. Gather & Measure Ingredients
FYI: I wrap my potatoes in aluminum foil and boil them on top of my stove for about 30-40 minutes until or until tender. To me this is quicker than baking them in the oven, plus they are a lot juicier.
For Nana’s sweet potato pie, you will need to measure out the following ingredients:
- 4 large, sweet potatoes, or 2 cups
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-9-inch-deep dish pie shell, unbaked.
3. Mix Your Ingredients
Peel and mash up your cooked sweet potatoes using the whisk from your mixer. Next, add all your ingredients that you have measured out to your sweet potatoes in the mixing bowl of your stand mixer. Mix all the ingredients at once until well incorporated with the wire whisk.
4. Preheat the Oven
Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F. Once the oven is heated, you can pour your sweet potato mixture into your prepared pie shell. Place pie plate on pizza stone (if you have one) and bake in 350-degree oven for 60 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Note: If you have a pizza stone, I highly recommend using one to bake your pies if you don’t have one. It cooks the pies evenly and eliminates the soggy bottom crust. Makes your pies even more delicious.
5. Cool & Store
When you take your pie out, place it on a cake cooling rack before serving. This will give the pie time to “rest” and it will be much easier to cut.
Now that you have cut your pie and enjoyed it, it’s time to store it in an airtight container and place it in the fridge.
6. Now, Enjoy the Fruits of Your Labor!
Now that you have created this delicious southern treat, you need to grab some coffee for you and your guests and indulge in the sweetness of this awesome pie.
Conclusion of “Nana’s Sweet Potato Pie – A Delicious Southern Treat”
I hope you enjoyed “Nana’s Sweet Potato Pie – A Delicious Southern Treat” as much as I enjoyed putting it together for you.
My hope is that you will make both recipes because there is nothing quite like homemade desserts to make for a delightful day. I promise you that you and your family are going to love this pie!
No time to bake? Let me do it for you! Visit my shop at Nana’s Bakery to place your orders. I have this same pie in my shop that I can bake for you plus cakes, cookies, and other pie flavors.
Thank you for supporting my small business!
Nana’s Bakery (To Place Your Orders)
What Are the Best Pie Baking Apples?
How To Make the Perfect Pie Filling
How to Make the Perfect Pie Crust